Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Swarm housed

I got a text from the farmer telling me there was a swarm in the hedge. As soon I could get away I went home and shot off to the apiary. It is dead handy having Degsy on the drive and ready to go. When I got to the apiary sure enough there was a swarm in the hedge. They has settled down so there were very few bees flying. I went a checked the hive I had fettled on Sunday. I guessed which hive might have swarmed. I was right. I checked the others and found they were quite happy. But I did have a dilemma. When I checked the hive that swarmed I found queen cups but nothing anywhere near being sealed. When I looked thorough hive B I found sealed Queen cells on two frames so I transferred one of the frames into the swarmed box. Now I three boxes with sealed Queens. With a bit of luck the queens will emerge, mate and settle down to laying.

I positioned a floor and a brood box under the swarm. I put an empty super over the brood box. I got as close as I could but the box was not under the swarm properly. I had a big cloth in Degsy I placed that under the swarm and draped it in to the super. I trimmed the hedge back to give myself some room. When I had room I pulled the branch down to the cloth then gave it a sharp rap. Most of the cluster fell onto the cloth. Tipped the cloth up and shook the bees into the empty super which acted like a big funnel depositing the bees into the brood box. I scooped up the remaining bees and put them in the super. I spread the cloth out in front of the entrance to the hive. The remaining bees crawled back along the clothe to the hive. It made it easier for them than scrambling through the grass. It was good for me because I could see bees on the floor. The last thing I wanted was bees crawling up my legs. It was a roasting hot afternoon which had me sweating but it was just right for the bees. Despite my actions the bees were calm enough. I put the super frames back into the hive carefully so as not to squash the bees. I covered the top of the super and went about preparing the apiary for the arrival of the newly hive swarm. When I went back to the swarm and found they had settled down in the hive. Lots of bees were fanning scent from the Nasenoff gland. A sure sign of the drawing in the flying bees. With that I left them to it and resolved to come back at dusk.

I nervously approached the hive in the gathering gloom. It was great to be out in the cool of the evening. There were no bees around the hived swarm. I lifted the lid and found a great gaggle of bees round the vent hole. When I bumped the hive the bees shook and growled. That was good because it meant there were lots of bees that were defending their home. I blocked the door up and carefully carried the hive the new spot in the apiary. I took the lid off the hive and added a second super, replaced the crown board, added a feeder then the eke and finally the roof. I almost forgot to take the door block out. When I did take the door block out the bees did not poor out which was good. A few guards came out which is normal. With fingers crossed I think I can say they swarm is caught and homed.

With a bit of luck the swarm will settle down and the new Queens will emerge and mate in the other hives. That means I will have four viable hives in three weeks time. Then they have the rest of the summer to make honey.    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment