Tuesday, May 06, 2008

May Day, M'aide

I have been reading a book called "The Magic of Spring" by Richard Lewis which about his search for his roots. His English roots. I am just at he bit where he has spent a wet May Day morning on top of Giant's Hill at Cerne Abbas with Cotswolds Morris men. I had no urge to get up extra early and dance round the lottie naked but for hawthorn in my hair. I might have if I could have found some lusty virgins who were up for an early start. I had to settle for morning with Terry Wogan, soft boiled eggs, door stops toasted dripping with butter and homemade Damson jam.

I took myself off to the lottie for more digging. This time to try and finish bed 3. The Spinach and remaining Broccoli was picked over for the best leaves and sprout then pulled up. All the spinach and some of the Broccoli was chopped and fed to the worms. The rest went in the compost. I saved a particularly leafy Broccoli for Steve's chickens. I hope they approved. The digging is producing more weeds. I have filled all the compo bins and now the loads of weeds are piled against he last bin. However I have a plan! I just need some time and to get my logistics sorted out. First I have to empty the big compost bin. The compost is going to go on the beans but the beans are not ready to plant out. I was going to put some as top dressing on the Asparagus but the bed needs weeding first. However I worry that I will damage the crowns if a just get stuck in without being able to see sprouting stems. I also have some new crowns to go in. These are Pacific Blue, a Purple variety. It is supposed to be even more sweet than the green varieties. When the big bins is empty I will divide it in two using a pallet.

I can not remember what I did on Friday but I am sure there was digging. On Friday H got a call from are friends who live in Dublin. They were actually in Loughborough visiting relatives
and asked if they could visit on Saturday. H said yes. They were to come over in the the afternoon. This was good timing as I was on poo duty. I also arranged to meet the new plot holder at the lottie to share some seeds to get him started. That done I was home in time to get lunch and get cleaned up. They arrived at the appointed time. H decoded to take them to Lichfield since in the time they lived near us they never visited the town. H is a fan of Lichfield. She particularly likes the Cathedral and Erasmus Dawin's house which is just across from the Cathedral. We had Tea at a cafe which on the surface was quite posh. It had a Maitre'd but he was clearly nuts and staffed by timid little poppets. The food was fine and not expensive.

Refreshed we took a turn about the Cathedral. It was impressive. It claim to fame is that it is the only Medieval church with three spires. Erasmus Darwin was the grandfather of Charles Darwin. Erasmus was a doctor and a learned man. He and his pals set up the Lunar Society to discuss scientific topics of the day. the Societies name derives from the timing of the meetings. They held the meetings each full moon so the moon would light their way on the road home.

We toured Erasmus's house. It is only £3 for adults and there are hands on things for the kids to do. H would prefer just to sit in the herb garden. Being a hottish day and the garden is walled in the air was full of heady scents. I must admit it was nice jsut sitting their. All done we headed home and said goodbye to our guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment