Tuesday, May 06, 2008

G'day

Our friends who came to visit on Saturday were coming back to Loughborough on Monday. H arranged with them that they should come for tea. The reason they came to this area is because Mike's sister is studying at Loughborough Uni. We said Shane [the sister] should come too. It was lovely to see them all. We chatted, took the mickey, the girls; Miss L and Miss A stayed with us which is something, told a few jokes, Miss A gave us some verse Gaelic. We even sat outside with a few beers.

Susie & Mike used to be our neighbours. They are New Zealanders by way of Australia and have travelled for years. They are currently living in Dublin. They have been tussling with what to do next. Their daughter is of an age to go to secondary school and they have decided that she should be schooled in Australia, their second home. Miss L is delighted with the idea. I have been informed that she to have a gap year in Australia. H is considering how to get there since she does not like flying. We [H] are/is seriously considering going by sea on a cargo vessel. That will be an adventure. Miss L tells me she will meet us there. She does not trust ships. They sink!

The Kiwi's went to York for the day and were coming to us afterwards so I had time to kill. First off I went to get some compost from the garden centre. I went to the lottie to plant out more Broad Beans. I also sowed Carrots and interplanted the rows with Marigolds. I made deep drills and filled them with the compost and then gave it all a good soaking. Only then did I sow the Carrot seeds. Then a bit more water to settle things in. It is a bit if a palarver but it worked last year and that was the first time I got Carrots to grow. There are still some volunteer spuds in bed 2 so I had to dig them up. I am going to have to find a better way to harvest spuds. I must have dug up at least three dinners worth of unharvested spuds. About 1pm I came home for a spot of lunch. After a snack I cleaned up the borders, planted out the Gladioli and various Lettuce. I made up some more trays of Lettuce, sowed Spring Onions and finally got round to sowing m' Brussels and Purple Sprouting Broccoli. My budding dropped off some PSB to the lottie unfortunately he left them outside the fence so the they made a tasty snack for the Rabbits.

I had plenty of time to have a shower and go to the offy for some beer and cider. Miss L came for a spin. She too was looking forward to dinner and was still excite about her new shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment