Sunday, March 25, 2012

A nice sit down

Saturday was a day of two halves. The morning was foggy and cold but not dark. The sun was up there somewhere. I was out early to do the poo trailer. I ran the trailer up the lottie and dumped the muck on the area we dropped the trees last week. Steve has organised some whips with which to replant the area. In the time it took me to run the trailer back to the stables and head over to Swadlincote the sun had burned off the fog. Still the air temperature was not high a bit like being in the mountains, bight sunshine but not hot.

There is a Sainsbugs at Swad and petrol is always cheap. I got my quota of petrol for Degsy then went round to a new shop I had found out about. T W Warehouse is in Cadley Hill just outside Swad. Click HERE for their website. It is a wonderland for tools and blokey stuff. I got some new work trousers. I took myself home for a spot of lunch. I had a read of a couple of chapters of my book then loaded up Degsy, got my brew stuff together and went of the to the lottie.

I had decide that I needed to weed the potato plot [bedA]. I took the fork a set about the usual task. Usual rhythm. Start at one edge of the plot, fork in driven into the ground, lever it back, turn the sod over and drop it on the ground and pull out the weeds, weeds in wheelbarrow. When the wheelbarrow was full the weeds went into the black compo bin. Just do that for a couple of hours and a third of the plot is dug over a foot deep and weed free. Part way through I had a nice sit down to listen to the birds over a brew and a Blue Ribbon.

It was repetitive work but I got there in the end. The soil just fell apart and once it was raked out it gave a a light seed bed. That was as much as could do for the day. The sun was still well above the horizon when I left. I was surprised that I was the only one at the the lottie all day. I also weeded the path alongside bedA. The compo bin is now crammed to the lid.

No comments:

Post a Comment