Friday, April 13, 2012

Clayton's

I had the day off today. I had planned a trip to Matlock to see a leather workers suppliers. I needed a skiver and some edging gum. Whilst I was there I got into conversation with Charlotte. During the chat she let slip that there was a leather suppliers in Chesterfield. Chesterfield is not twenty minutes drive from Matlock. I gave them a call. They were open and gave me directions. But first we had to have lunch at H favorite cafe in Matlock. To be fair I was ready for lunch and it set me up for the afternoon. H and I found Claytons without a problem. Clayton's is a tanners in Chesterfield. Not only that but the building was purpose built in 1840 as a tannery by a Joseph Clayton and has been in the same family since it's founding. It is a fantastic place. Purpose built and doing the same job today as the day it opened. Not only that but prospering.

H and I presented ourselves at the office. The formidable Margaret greeted us and gave us directions to "Les", the foreman of the warehouse. We trooped over to Les's domain. His domain was an Aladdin's cave of leather. Les was grumpy to begin with as he had a rush order to fill for Germany. I told Les what I was after and he was a mine of knowledge. He was at the top of his game and the king of his domain. He had a couple of youths that did the hand balling of the leather under his direction. One lad Jim was shifting leather about on a bogie that was new in 1840 and had any number of Jim's hauling on the rope of that bogie since then. I happily parted with a few quid for nine square feet of general purpose saddle shoulder. I am going to get a tour of Clayton's tannery one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment